Sunday, March 8, 2009

Christian Maturity and the Struggle with Sin

Christian Maturity and the Struggle with Sin
Exodus 32-34 | Psalm 28 | Romans 7

In yesterday's devotions we learned that the believer is no longer under the yoke of sin, yet still sins. We read explicitly of this in today's reading from Romans.

Paul comments that the good he wants to do he cannot do, and the bad he does not want to do, he does. We read elsewhere that sin abounds even in the Christian life - for example: to look at someone and to wish them harm is to murder them, and to look lustfully at someone is to committ adultury (Matt. 5:21ff.).

We read later of Paul's continued struggle with sin, in that he has been left with a "thorn in his side" (2 Cor. 12:7). It is clear that he is referring to a sin that, try as he might, he cannot irradicate. Similar is the situation for all Christians: holiness and purity though sought, will not be found by any in this world.

There is the story of C.H. Spurgeon (1834-92), a Christian leader renowned for his extreme directness in preaching, who attended a gathering of Christian leaders and heard an address where it was taught that purity could be attained on this earth. Known for not allowing such flawed teaching to go by unquestioned, many attending were surprised that Spurgeon did not immediately respond.

Rest assured however, the next morning at breakfast, Spurgeon, standing behind the preacher from the day before, calmly tiped the contents of a pitcher of milk over the seated man's head - producing an abusive response. Such is the purity attained on this earth!

In my life, realisation of sin has led to feelings of frustration and pointlesness, especially when I fail constantly and consistently. But I can also see where God uses my failings and these emotions: humility.

There was a time when I would compare myself to those around me and consider myself to be 'better than most'. Since then, God has used my sins to help me realise the enormity of my failings, especially regarding my previously mentioned pious thoughts of myself. This has left me with a greater sense of my own unworthiness, but also a greater sense of the power of Jesus' death. As God said to Paul: "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" (2 Cor. 12:9).

God used terrible things I had done to Him to humble me, and thus help me grow in Christian maturity. It was at this time that I realised that there is no such thing as a good Christian: there are mature Christians and Christians gifted to different extents, but there is no such thing as a "good" Christian, for all have sinned, do sin and will sin.

Further, whereas a distinction between a 'good' and 'bad' Christian seems to imply that the former has a greater mastery over sin than the latter; a distinction between a 'mature' and 'immature' Christian allows the understanding that in ourselves, we have no mastery over sin; it is only through Christ (in whom all Christians share) that sin is mastered. The mature Christian is one who is in a comparitively close relationship with God.

It remains that as believers we are no longer dominated by sin, though we will struggle with it; we are slaves to the law of sin, but must continue struggling in order to please and glorify God as we are predominantly slaves to His rightousness. However, we can find hope in the face of seeming futility knowing that in Heaven we will find purity! Thanks be to God.

Praise God for His gift of life in His Son, and pray that you may grow in Christian maturity in order to please and glorify Him.

No comments: